UPPER AUSTRIA IN ONE PLACE
On over 10,000 m² of exhibition area the Linz Schlossmuseum provides comprehensive insight into the natural, cultural and art history of Upper Austria from the beginning of life into the 21st century.
There is a wide spectrum of permanent exhibitions in the historic castle and in the new southern wing. They range from geological to contemporary history and bear witness to diverse and extensive special areas.
The permanent exhibitions are flanked by diverse special exhibitions on current international and regional, as well as cultural, natural and contemporary history topics.
From imperial castle to MUSEUM
Mentioned for the first time in 799 in a Passau document, the history of the castle and its use have been eventful. Emperor Kaiser Friedrich III made it into his retirement home after extensive renovations in the 1480s and gathered together here a “muse’s court” of scholars and poets.
The "Friedrichstor" Gate, the main entrance through the western defensive wall, is a remaining relic from this period.
Ferdinand I enjoyed living in the Linz castle fortress due to the ongoing danger from the Turks – the first siege of Vienna was in 1529 – which he converted into a modern residential castle with a chapel. In 1604 Kaiser Rudolf II began construction on "eines newen schloß gebew(s)" (a new castle building), in which he wanted to reside. The construction was not finished until 1672 upon the completion of the new chapel by Domenico and Martino Carlone.
In the French Wars the castle served as a military hospital; A devastating fire in 1800 destroyed the southern and chapel wing. The building was only provisionally restored and then served as an imperial provincial jail [strafhaus], subsequently as a barracks for the Upper Austrian Hausregiment "k. u. k. Infanterieregiment No. 14 Grossherzog von Hessen und bei Rhein" and the gendarmerie.
In 1952 its dedication for cultural purposes was decreed by the City of Linz and the State of Upper Austria, in 1959 exclusive use by the Oberösterreichisches Landesmuseum was determined. The first partial opening was held in 1963, the full opening ultimately followed in 1966.
In 37 impressive exhibition rooms the cultural history of the country is presented from the Stone Age to the early 21st century, whereby corridors, stairways and interior courtyards were also included. A part of the first Upper Austrian regional exhibition "Die Kunst der Donauschule 1490 bis 1540" [The Art of the Danube School 1490 to 1540] was held in the castle in 1965, followed in 1976 by "Der oberösterreichische Bauernkrieg 1626" [The Upper Austrian Peasants’ War of 1626] and in 1990 the regional exhibition "Mensch und Kosmos" [Man and the Cosmos].
Particularly the concept of special exhibitions and the generous endowment of the Walther Kastner collection in 1975 made the restructurings or outsourcings of various collections necessary (e.g. vehicle hall in 1975, conversion of the entire ground floor into a special exhibition area in 1987). This resulted in the possibility of organising international major exhibitions and/or compiling them itself, as for example in the 1987 "Glanz und Untergang des Alten Mexiko" [The Splendour and Demise of Ancient Mexico], 1991 "Inka-Peru", "Leben mit dem Regenwald" [Living with the Rainforest] in 1992, "Indonesia" in 1999, "Africa" in 1996 and 2000 and “GotikSchätze Oberösterreichs” [Upper Austria’s Gothic Treasures] in 2002.
The expansion of the cellar created space for the presentation of the Primitive and Early History, as well as the Roman Age and early Christianity, in 2003 the redesign in the framework of a major project for Austrian archaeology was inaugurated.
The renovation of the infrastructure in the old building began in 2002, in particular the installation of the lift. The new southern wing, which ties in with the historic castle structure and which was opened in early July 2009, represented the achievement of a first step towards a comprehensive renovation and restructuring of the entire "Schlossmuseum Linz" complex.
Schlossmuseum Linz — Successful symbiosis of historic construction elements and modern architecture
The Linz Schlossmuseum presents itself in its current manifestation as a historically evolved ensemble. On the area of the former Middle Age castle a modern Renaissance castle emerged around 1600, the southern wing of which was destroyed during the catastrophic fire in 1800 and it was first reopened in a contemporary architectural language in the years 2006 to 2009.
The cultural educators of the Schlossmuseum Linz want to bring culture and history to life for visitors. In addition to exciting narratives and vivid materials special attention is paid to making the original exhibition pieces comprehensible.
Cultural education programme for different target groups
Zu den Kernaufgaben des Oberösterreichischen Landesmuseums gehören unter anderem auch die Betreuung und Förderung von Arbeitsgemeinschaften.
Das Oberösterreichische Landesmuseum versteht sich als Dienstleister für Forschungsprojekte und fördert und betreut Arbeitsgemeinschaften seit 1921.
Arbeitsgemeinschaften Schlossmuseum Linz
For decades the Oberösterreichisches Landesmuseum has striven to also offer visitors with disabilities a corresponding programme. It is of major concern to us to make the museum visit a wonderful experience for everyone.
The Schlossmuseum Linz is disabled accessible as follows:
- Disabled accessible toilet
Taxi to the Schlossmuseum Linz
In the tourist information office on the main square [Hauptplatz] present a disabled person’s identity card to obtain a voucher, which is valid for the journey to and from Schlossmuseum Linz. This free service only applies for 2244 taxis. Electronic wheelchairs cannot be transported.
After a visit to a museum, during a lunch break, in the evening or simply for a snack:
The restaurant in the southern wing of Schlossmuseum Linz makes an impression with a large terrace with a grandiose view of the city.
The Schloss Herberstein Brasserie